Information for New Skippers
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help when decorating your boat. We have skippers with years of experience that are always willing to give advice.
- Have a helpful crew member onboard each night
- All boats must be capable of at least 6 knots
- Displays don’t need to be complex, simple works
- Meet minimum Coast Guard requirements for your sized boat (Nav lights, PFDs, fire extinguishers, horn, bilge pump) – Safety #1 priority
- Insurance and Boater Safety Card required (unless exempt)
- Portable generator for lights/inverter/genset
- Radar & chartplotter not necessary, but are helpful
- VHF Radio to communicate with River Leaders
- Always remember that you are performing for the community and your guests – Have fun!
See the New Skipper PowerPoint presentation below for more detailed information on what to expect!
See the video below for a demonstration of how the skipper of one of the brighest ships in the fleet makes his displays!
Skipper information sheet (useful to have on-board): SkipperInformation.pdf
Blank Guest Lists to plan out your crew / friends: