We'd like to offer our sincere thanks to everyone who made our 2015 61st Christmas Ships Parade season such a success. Here are some of the highlights:
- We had almost 70 boats sign up and we saw record participation on both rivers. On our opening night in North Portland Harbor, we had 41 boats; the most ever! We'd love to see this record broken for 2016 on more than just a few evenings, hint hint.
- We had many new ships join us this year with great unique displays that quickly became fan favorites (Ex., an actual fire breathing dragon).
- We were impacted by weather in a many ways. Due to rains, wind, fast moving water, and river debris we had to cancel two parade evenings. On some nights we did venture out on the Willamette, our routes were cut short. We had a few boats sustain damage due to hitting large submerged logs. We constantly try to balance safety with our committment to the parade.
- One benefit to cancelling on our penultimate evening was that we got to have an extended Meet & Greet on the public docks at RiverPlace. We had such a great turn out that we will be doing something a bit different this year. We'll have details forthcoming as the season approaches.
- We were featured on OPB's Oregon Field Guide:
- As we do each and every year, we had a fun and festive Christmas season.
The weather during the Christmas Ships Parade, at times, provides quite a challenge to the fleet. It is only through the sheer dedication of the intrepid captains of all these wonderful ships that the fleet can overcome all but the most severe weather. The fleet is much like the post office, they'll be there through rain, snow, and of course, dark of night, all because these skippers love what they do and love being part of such a great tradition.
The increased contact we see through the web page here, as well as through our Facebook page and Twitter feed, further cement the incredible interest shown for this event. Christmas Ships Parade fans not only show up to visit us in all sorts of weather, but they're actively involved in communicating with the leadership, sharing pictures and videos, making donations, and offering suggestions on how we can better serve our fans. You support is invaluable, and we thank you for all you do for us.
The 2016, 62nd Christmas Ships Parade season will be here before you know it. Already, Christmas Ship Skippers are planning their decorations for the year. You too can be a part of this wonderful tradition, taking part in something special to many men, women and children of the greater Portland/Vancouver area. Just click on the "Join Us > Benefits" menu to find out why you should become a Christmas Ship Skipper, then sign up! Fullfill that dream, check off that bucket-list item, be part of something great - Join the 2016 Christmas Ships Parade!
We, at Christmas Ships, Inc. look forward, with great anticipation, to seeing you out there again this year as we parade our boats on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers.